Friday, May 8, 2009

Dodge's Bullets

A little blast from the past today! I love seeing an artist's process, from the initial roughs to the final product. I figured I'd show a glimpse into my process!

Last year I had the opportunity to collaborate with one of my favorite writers, Jay Faerber. Jay is the writer of Noble Causes, Dynamo 5, Gemini and more. He had a graphic novel come out a few years ago entitled Dodge's Bullets about a musician who moonlights as a detective. Jay thought revisiting this story would be the perfect fit for a collaboration. So we set about doing a short 5-page backup story (that later morphed into 6 pages).

Here's a look at some of the pages, from the initial thumbnails, to digital inks, to colors (beautifully done by Paul Little).

Page 1 My roughs for this project were a little more defined than I usually do, but I wanted really put my all into this gig. Jay suggested a different angle for the bottom panel that I think worked better--in keeping with the 'left to right' rule of comics.







Page 2 Again, the bottom panel was changed--but this was just a simple flip this time. And the top panel went through a couple of revisions as well.







All in all, the collaboration was a blast, and Jay and I have talked about doing another project together. We just have to align our schedules first (not an easy task in the comics biz!) You can find the Dodge's Bullets short in Dynamo 5 #18.

No comments:

Post a Comment