Monday, February 28, 2011

A Tribute to My Father




On February 23, my father Jose Eisma passed away. I'd like to take a moment and pay tribute to this amazing man. This drawing is from one of my favorite photos of the two of us.

My dad, a native of the Philippines, came to America in the 1960s to practice medicine. Healing was his passion. He eventually settled in a small Texas town, where he met my mom and they had me. He was the most selfless person I knew--always putting his patients above himself and genuinely caring for the well-being of others. I always admired this attribute about him, and he imparted his way of caring for others to me.

He was also an unabashed geek. It was through him I gained a love of reading and fascination of things like Star Wars, James Bond and Star Trek. He took me to my first comic shop when I was a kid. If it weren't for his encouragement, I might never have picked up a pencil to draw my first comics.

I know he was proud of Morning Glories and its success. He was happy that I had found something as rewarding and fulfilling in my life as he had in his.

Though he is gone, and I hurt worse than I ever have in my life--I know that he will always be in my heart. I will forever be grateful for the times we had, and for all the life lessons he taught me.
Thank you, Dad, for everything.
R.I.P.

No comments:

Post a Comment